Christmas is a time for peace, love, joy, and giving gifts. If you want to give a gift that is fun, creative, and inexpensive, try making DIY skin and body products. These natural products are perfect for pampering loved ones and they're easy to make. So why not give them a try this year?
Here are five fast ideas for a more personal and caring touch.
1. Dad's Homemade Shaving Cream
Forget the power tools and coffee mugs that will probably get used every now and then. Why not whip Dad up some all-natural, homemade shaving cream that he can use every single day? It's an easy, thoughtful, and not to mention, healthy way to show Dad you care.
Here's how: Ingredients:
2/3 cup Shea butter
2/3 coconut oil
1/4 cup olive oil or grapeseed oil
1 Tbsp sweet almond oil
10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil (suggestions below)
Double boiler or pot with glass bowl
Empty container with airtight lid
1. Using the double boiler or a glass bowl over a pot of simmering hot water, combine the shea butter and coconut oil. Allow the butter and oil to melt together slowly on the lowest heat setting, stirring occasionally to blend and smooth.
2. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup of olive oil or grapeseed oil and 1 tbsp of sweet almond oil.
3. Once these have melted, add in 10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil.
(Oil Suggestions: -Dry skin/Eczema - Chamomile or Lavender -Hydration- Sweet Orange; Normal skin - Jasmine; Scarred or infection prone skin- Eucalyptus or Rosemary)
4. Transfer bowl to the fridge and allow the mixture to harden.
5. Once it has solidified, remove, and let it re-soften a bit.
6. Using the whisk (or an electric mixer) whip until the mixture softens slightly--like the consistency of frosting.
7. Allow bowl to sit for a couple minutes and then transfer to an airtight container. Store in a cool dark area. Shelf life is about a month.
2. Mom's Homemade Fragrance Oil
If you are looking for a special and different gift to give your mom this Christmas, try making her a DIY fragrance oil . These make the perfect gift because you can customize the scent to her favorite oils and make something special just for her.
20 drops of your favorite oils. You can use a single-note scent, like peach or vanilla, or mix scents together to create your own signature scent.
Dropper or pipettes.
1. Put the base oil in a glass bottle and then add in 20 drops of your chosen oil. Add one drop at a time to avoid overdoing it.
2. Shake gently and let sit for 24 hours to allow the scent to develop before testing.
3. Test the scent and add more oil if required.
4. Once you are happy with the intensity of the scent, gift wrap the bottle in some festive paper and ribbons.
3. Homemade Coconut Oil Scrubs
Coconut oil is the perfect base for an all-natural homemade skin scrub. Not only it is full of nourishing benefits, but it smells amazing too! This recipe is great not just as a gift, but also as your own personal facial scrub.
1/4 cup granulated sugar or salt - *use 1/2 cup for more coarse/sand like texture (sugar is recommended for drier skin, salt is recommended for oily skin)
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
Essential oil (optional) Lavender- calming, tension/headache relief, skin toning Sweet Orange- clears acne, heals skin inflammation/infections Lime- antiseptic, mood lifter, clears acne-prone/oily skin Pink Grapefruit- cleanses acne-prone skin, eases muscle fatigue, toner.
Combine all ingredients in an airtight container and mix well.
Face – Massage in circular motions for 30 seconds. Rinse and dry. Hands – Massage into your hands and fingernails for 30 seconds. Rinse and dry. Body - Massage into your skin while in the bath or before showering. Rinse and dry.
Tip: Try to avoid scrubbing in the shower as oil will make tub very slippery.
4. Homemade Beeswax Lip Balm
Give your friends and family a special treat this holiday season with a homemade beeswax lip balm. Beeswax is one of the best ingredients you can use to protect and hydrate lips. It's also a great base for adding essential oils, which helps to promote healing, moisturize, and soothe dry skin.
1 teaspoon beeswax
2 tablespoons almond oil, or other carrier oil
10 drops essential oil of choice (optional)
Small container with lid
1. Place 1 teaspoon of beeswax in a small bowl and place in the top of a double boiler. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until wax melts.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of almond oil (or other carrier oil), and remove from heat.
3. Add 10 drops of essential oil if desired and stir to combine.
4. Immediately pour into a small container with lid and let cool completely before capping it off.
5. Homemade Lavender Facial Mask
Take pampering to a whole new level this Christmas with a homemade lavender facial mask! Lavender is known for its soothing and calming properties, making it the perfect ingredient to soothe skin irritation. This easy-to-make recipe will leave your loved ones with radiant and beautiful skin!
2 tablespoons bentonite clay
14 drops lavender essential oil
1. In a small bowl, mix the bentonite clay and lavender essential oil until it forms a paste.
2. Slowly add water to the mixture until it reaches the desired consistency.
3. Apply to the face, avoiding contact with eyes and mouth.
4. Leave on for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
These homemade gifts are sure to spread peace, love, and joy this holiday season. And they make a great addition to any Christmas gift basket or stocking stuffers! The main takeaway here is that DIY skin and hair care gifts are quick, easy, effective, and affordable. Have fun with these recipes and enjoy the season! Happy Holidays!