- Oil for frying
- 1 fish, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 chile pepper, cleaned and chopped
- 1 or 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 bunch of fresh Sorrel leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- grated nutmeg to taste
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
1. Heat a few spoonfuls of oil in skillet. Fry fish on both sides until done. Set aside.
2. Heat a few spoonfuls of oil in a saucepan. Fry the onion and garlic, then add the chili pepper, tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir in enough water to make a smooth sauce. Heat to a slow boil.
3. Pour the sauce over the fish. Add the sorrel leaves, bay leaf, nutmeg, black pepper, and salt. Simmer gently for 10-20 minutes.
4. Serve with boiled plantains or rice.