Your liver is the largest organ inside your body. It Is important to treat it well. Liver health affects many things—energy level, ability to lose weight, digestion problems and even arthritis pain. A gentle liver detox can help you look and feel years younger.
The liver’s job is to remove toxins, heavy metals, alcohol, and fat from your blood stream. Our modern lifestyle –too much processed food, too much caffeine and alcohol, plus too little exercise—gives the liver too much to do. So, help your liver with some gentle detoxing.
If you have serious liver damage, you might need an intensive detox. Only do this under the supervision of a doctor. Products that promise to clean your liver in a few days may be dangerous.
The safest way to detox is to change some of your daily habits and take the right supplements :
- Drink lots of filtered water. Tap water has all kinds of impurities that make the liver’s job harder. Once or twice a day, add a tablespoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to your water---but don’t overdo it. Too much can be bad for you.
- Add bitters (see below) to your water twice daily.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Bananas, spinach, and sweet potatoes are high in potassium and support liver health.
- Reduce or avoid processed carbs such as white bread, sugared drinks, and candy.
- Reduce or avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
- Take 200- 400 mg. of milk thistle every day. You can find milk thistle supplements at your drugstore.
Bitters are one of the best natural ways to support your detox regimen. Bitters are concentrated mixtures of bitter herbs that benefit the liver and improve digestion. You take them by mixing a tablespoon or two with plain or sparkling water.
Bitters that are especially good for your liver include:
Try these easy and inexpensive changes to improve your health – and your life.